Has your sleep been suffering lately?
Many of us let poor sleep patterns become the norm in our lives. Whether we are too busy, too stressed out, too caffeinated, too stimulated, all of the above or something else, sleep is one of the first areas of wellbeing to suffer due to our lifestyles. And while quantity is important, so is the quality of the sleep you get; deep REM is the most important part of your rest, known as the restorative part of our sleep cycle. The fact is, if you haven’t been sleeping well, your wellbeing is taking a beating.
What happens when we don‘t get the sleep we deserve?
Whether you realize it or not, insufficient and poor-quality sleep has a profound effect on the rest of your life.
- Increases anxiety
- Higher likelihood for depression
- Increased risk of heart disease
- Poor cognitive function
- Increased risk for obesity
OK, so you’ve heard enough. The list actually goes on, but what’s important is that your realize how poor sleep wears your body down. We need quality sleep for cognitive function, physical well-being and immune function; in other words, to perform optimally both mentally and physically, while giving your body the best chance of fighting off injury and disease. Sleep is the foundation on which the rest of your wellness builds. If you haven’t been sleeping well lately, it’s time to start asking questions.
3 steps to sleeping better with Total Health Chiropractic
- Optimize your body: chiropractic modalities reduce pain, increase circulation and oxygenation of the brain and make you feel more relaxed and comfortable. All of these are important in falling and staying asleep.
- Optimize your pre-sleep ritual: cut out caffeine, booze and electronics in the hours and minutes leading up to bed. You can use diet to contribute to healthy sleep patterns as well.
- Optimize your sleep environment: a firmer mattress with a properly-fitted pillow; a cooler ambient temperature in the room; an aromatherapy diffuser to scent the room. All of these things make a difference.
If your sleep has been subpar as of late, give our office in Bridgewater a call to schedule an appointment today. We want to help you get the sleep you deserve so that you can lay a solid foundation for wellness moving forward.